Firmware Flash Vera2
- YOU NEED TO FOLLOW THIS TUTORIAL ONLY IF YOUR VERA2 UNIT IS NOT BOOTING ANYMORE, THIS MEANS THAT WHILE BEING CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET/YOUR NETWORK ON THE ETH1 PORT, THE POWER LED IS ORANGE AND OTHER LEDS ARE GREEN WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ETH1 and ZWAVE WHICH ARE OFF FOR MORE THAN 30 MINUTES !
- The upgrade tool is only tested in Windows XP, it will not work with Windows Vista. In Windows 7 the applications should be run in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode.
- Make sure your computer is connected to your network through an Ethernet cable. Make sure to disable any wireless networking interfaces before continuing.
NOTE: Failure to disable your wireless network before continuing could result in an unusable unit.
- Please deactivate all Firewall and Antivirus software which is running during the upgrade process.
Note: If you are running Windows Vista/7 please follow the next guide to enable the TFTP Client and then continue with the re-flash steps. Guide: http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/09/10/how-to-install-a-tftp-client-in-windows-vista/
If the restoration utility does not work on Windows 7
Please note that this is only available for Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate editions.
- If the restoration utility does not work on Windows 7 you should use the Windows Xp Mode, offered for free by Microsoft. To install it, you have to go to this page Windows Xp Mode which will walk you through the entire process.
- After this finishes and you open up the Windows Xp Mode Virtual Machine, you should go to the Menu, select Tools -> Settings, select Networking and for adapter 1 make sure to select your LAN card, the one that will be connected directly into the ETH2 port of Vera.
- Afterwards you will have to open Internet explorer inside the virtual machine, access and download the Firmware flash utilities inside the virtual machine.
- On Windows 7 change the Local Area Connection settings to use the static IP and connect the Vera unit to your computer as explained at the begining of this page, then open the Firmware Flash utility inside the Virtual machine and you should be able to continue the Firmware Flash process.
Files to download before you start the restoration process
Setup your computer to connect to Vera 2
- Computer IP: 192.168.81.xxx (not 1)
- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
- Default Gateway: 192.168.81.1
Begin the process for flashing the firmware
- Use a network cable (CAT5e) and plug the cable from your PC into Vera's ETH2 port.
- Unplug Vera from the power cord.
- Holding down Vera's service button (not the small one, the one resembling the Z-Wave button with no label in the middle of the unit), whilst plugging in the power cord back in. Wait about 5s after you plugged the power cord back with the reset button pressed. When releasing the reset button, power LED should be blinking.
- If the power LED is not blinking, turn Vera off and try again(PLEASE doublecheck FIRST!!! The LED blinking can be very faint!).
- Start Vera2 Firmware Flash Tool.
- Click "Browse target" button.
- Vera should appear in targets list.
- Click on "*UN*checkPID" radio box, and click on "EraseNormal" drop-down box.
- Click the [Files] button.
- Download the file: Vera2 Firmware and save it on your computer.
- Select the file Vera2 Firmware
- Click the [Open] button to get the file.
- Click on the [OK] button on the BIN File Information dialog box.
- Click on the [Upgrade] button. The file will be flashed, and you will see a dialog box saying success - close Upgrade Tool.
- Put your computer's IP back to DHCP (Automatically Configure) and Vera will assign an IP like 192.168.81.xxx
- Please wait until Vera automatically reboots and the ETH1 light starts double blinking or it's solid (this can take 10 to 30 minutes).
- When you see the ETH1 double blinking, you are done.
To do after the restoration has finished
- If you have your computer connected to the ETH2 port of Vera, open http://192.168.81.1 and you will see the Wizard to continue setup your Vera.
- If you already connected the ETH1 (Wan) cable coming from your main Router/ADSL modem, the ETH1 light on front will go solid, meaning Vera is connected to the internet.
Dont forget to update your Vera to the latest available firmware. This is explained here: Update Firmware
Next, if you also want to restore everything else in Vera, restore a backup file, either one that you created manually with 'Create Backup', or an automatic backup at MiOS.com, click 'Browse' to find the backup file, select it, and click 'Restore'.
http://download.mios.com/firmware/micasaverde_backfire_v8.bin Vera2 Firmware
http://download.mios.com/firmware/vera2_upgrade_tool.zip Vera2 Firmware Flash Tool